I recently interviewed author and entrepreneur Eric Ries. We talked about his book The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Business. Listen to the interview, and check out the interview highlights and links below.
- We get a rush out of controlling what is happening instead of asking which of our ideas are worth pursuing.
- Human beings are never excited to discover they are wrong, we would rather stick to our guns than change.
- Great organizations stay true to vision and values while letting go of non-working systems.
- Sometimes the problem is not whether or not we are working hard enough, the problem is that we are working on the wrong things.
- Quality must be defined by the customer’s point of view.
- If you don’t know your customer, you don’t know what quality really means.
- The longer something worked in the past the more difficult it is to change.
- To encourage change, meet people where they are.
- Most successful experiments are the ones where something unexpected happens.
- If people are afraid to fail, they will look for excuses not to experiment.
- Fail quickly so you can succeed even more quickly.