Lee recently came back from a worship conference and shared these notes from a session that Aubrey Spears taught. Spears is the Teaching Pastor at Fairmont Park Church in La Porte, Texas. From Lee’s notes, these are the:
7 Reasons Why the Church Needs Artists
- Only through art can we know God more fully. A person encounters God as an artist before he encounters him as a theologian. We have reduced God’s primary interests to truth and goodness. We must remember that beauty is a primary of interest of his.
- We must see God’s world more truthfully. Only seeing one theme is insufficient. Artists must help people see both the brokenness and the promise of renewal.
- We must embrace God’s salvation more completely. Art as morality dictates that we should create more than just “religious” art. Everything is to be redeemed. Everything is worthy of artistic representation.
- We must worship God more humanly. Because of the image of God, humans make art. Humans create. No other organism on earth does.
- We must believe God’s promises more confidently. We are blinded to the glory that is here now. With art, you encourage and enlarge hearts to believe the impossible.
- We must proclaim God’s kingdom more powerfully. Truth has bigger muscles in art.
- We need to meet God. The primary place where we experience God is in our imagination–the intersection of our mind, emotions and will.