The current issue of Outreach Magazine includes an interview with Brad Abare and Phil Cooke about personality-driven churches. Here’s a paraphrase of the list of warning signs that Brad and Phil identified in the interview:
- The pastor doesn’t go on a vacation for any significant length of time. And, when he does, it isn’t announced.
- When the pastor doesn’t preach, the attendance drops.
- Unspoken fear that if something happened to the pastor, the church would be in trouble.
- The pastor is unwilling to listen to and consult other team members. The staff and volunteers are there to carry out the directions of the pastor.
- There’s no succession plan in place; therefore, leadership development isn’t happening.
Do you agree with Brad and Phil’s analysis? What would you add or subtract from the list?