Later this week, I’m going to be talking about using the web to engage your audience. Improving your content will help you engage your audience. I’ve decided to give away my secrets. Here are 10 ways to generate better content:
- Tell stories. The stories about YOU are the best.
- Create compelling headlines. I scan headlines and only read the articles with headlines that grab my attention.
- Make it scannable. Think bullets, lists, bold type, subheadings, pull quotes, etc.
- Use pictures and video. Keep videos under 4 minutes whenever possible.
- Become a thought leader. That means you need to start reading something that doesn’t come from another pastor’s blog. And, you need to create time to think.
- Meet reader’s needs. You have to develop relationships with your readers to figure this out.
- Generate a reaction or prompt an action. Move people or frustrate people.
- Be vulnerable. Share what you’re learning including the successes and the mistakes.
- Use humor. Like this.
- Keep it brief. I don’t read long articles on the web no matter who writes them.
Oh, and #11, start a conversation. What would you add to the list?