I recently had a chance to talk with Dave Ferguson about the new eBook, Becoming a Level Five Multiplying Church, that he wrote with Todd Wilson. Here’s a replay of our conversation:
- There are 5 Levels of Churches in our country: Level 1 – Churches in decline; Level 2 – Churches that have plateaued (80% are in these first two categories); Level 3 – Growing Churches (16%); Level 4 – Reproducing Churches (4%); and Level 5 – Multiplying or movement making churches (few in the US).
- When you’re a multiplying church, you are thinking about legacy, not just your own personal longevity or growth.
- How does your church think about generations to come? Ultimately that translates to a lot more lives changed.
- Movement is how we are going to accomplish the mission of Jesus, and movement only happens when we’re multiplying churches, not just growing churches.
- Growing churches are only concerned with growing what is right in front of them, but, as you’re sketching out what you want to become, you have to decide from the very beginning to dream of multiplication.
- Growing and sending: How do I grow enough leaders to send them to other sites over this part of my world and all around the world?
- Security vs. risk: If you’re pastoring a multiplying church, you will be continually challenged to take risks personally and financially, and it doesn’t end when you get to be a certain size or age.
Gaining by Losing by J.D. Greear